Unity in Color. Digital art created on canvas. August 11, 2024. Afrika Abney
Why should I get out? Washington, DC, my hometown, has a rich history that is deeply intertwined with the African American community, a presence that has existed long before my own birth. It was only during my high school years that I began to notice significant changes in the demographic landscape of the city. This transformation has left me feeling a strong sense of attachment to my roots, making the idea of leaving feel not only unnecessary but also unjust.
The notion of departing from a place that has shaped my identity is fraught with implications of discrimination. I have witnessed firsthand the gradual shifts in my community, and these changes have often been accompanied by a sense of exclusion and marginalization. The experiences I have faced, and continue to face, are a reflection of broader societal injustices that target individuals based on their race and background. This ongoing struggle against discrimination fuels my resolve to remain in a city that is not just a geographical location for me, but a vital part of my heritage and personal narrative.
Ultimately, the decision to stay is rooted in a desire to confront and challenge the injustices that persist in our society. Leaving would mean surrendering to a system that perpetuates inequality and discrimination, which is something I refuse to accept. I am committed to advocating for change and fostering a sense of community that honors the history and contributions of African Americans in Washington, DC.