Skip to main content

The period between 1978 to 1997 significant emergence of African-American visual artists in Washington, D.C

 “The period between 1978 to 1997, witnessed a significant emergence of African-American visual artists in Washington, D.C. This era was marked by a vibrant cultural renaissance that not only highlighted the contributions of these artists but also reflected the broader socio-political landscape of the time. The artistic community in D.C. became a crucial platform for African-American voices, showcasing a diverse range of styles and mediums that challenged prevailing narratives and celebrated cultural identity.

During these two decades, various galleries, exhibitions, and art collectives played a pivotal role in promoting the work of African-American artists. Institutions such as the Corcoran Gallery of Art and the Anacostia Community Museum became essential venues for showcasing their talent, providing visibility and recognition to artists who had often been marginalized in the mainstream art world. This period also saw the rise of influential figures who not only created impactful works but also engaged in activism, using their art as a means to address social issues and advocate for change within their communities.


The legacy of African American visual artists in Washington, D.C., from 1978 to 1997 is characterized by a rich tapestry of creativity and resilience.”


Past Art Exhibitions


•"Evolution of Historical Symbolisms." Corcoran Gallery of the Art, Hemicycle, Washington, DC. 1997


•"All Senior Summer Show." Corcoran School of the Art, White Walls Gallery, Washington, DC. 1997-1996 



Popular posts from this blog

Dynamic Spectrum

Dynamic Spectrum. Digital art created on canvas. August 19, 2024. Afrika Abney As a passionate digital artist, I specialize in creating abstract paintings that showcase a dynamic range of colors and demonstrate my expertise in manipulating hues. My mission is to push the boundaries of traditional art by harnessing the power of digital tools to create visually stunning pieces that evoke emotion and captivate viewers. When I was a high school student from 1991 - 1993, I did not study digital art. I obtained my high school diploma from Bell Multicultural High School in 1993.

Layers of Tranquility

Layers of Tranquility. Digital art created on canvas. September 18, 2024. Afrika Abney   “Layers of Tranquility through the use of varying shades of blue, including light blue, sky blue, and navy blue. Each hue contributes to an overall sense of calmness, evoking feelings of serenity and peace. The lighter tones suggest a gentle, soothing atmosphere, while the deeper navy blue adds depth and richness, creating a balanced visual experience that invites contemplation.”

Vibrant Serenity: Yellow and Green

Vibrant Serenity: Yellow and Green. Digital art created on canvas. August 19, 2024. Afrika Abney In the process of developing my abstract digital painting titled Vibrant Serenity: Yellow and Green, I focused intently on the intricacies of brushwork and the harmonious blending of colors. Each stroke was meticulously considered, as I aimed to evoke a sense of tranquility and vibrancy through the interplay of yellow and green hues. The choice of colors was not arbitrary; rather, it was a deliberate decision to convey a deeper emotional resonance that reflects the essence of serenity. Ultimately, the message behind Vibrant Serenity: Yellow and Green transcends mere aesthetics; it is an invitation to reflect on the balance between energy and peace.This painting stands as a testament to the power of color and form in expressing complex emotions and ideas.

Spectrum of Tranquility

  Spectrum of Tranquility. Digital art created on canvas. August 30, 2024. Afrika Abney  “The concept of a spectrum of tranquility highlights the vital role that creating supportive environments and enriching experiences plays in enhancing our overall well-being. It encourages us to reflect on the spaces we inhabit and the activities we engage in, reminding us that our surroundings can significantly influence our mental and emotional health. By fostering a sense of peace and calm, we can better navigate the challenges of daily life and cultivate a more balanced existence.”

Visual art and artistic process

  My visual art is crafted entirely on my computer, utilizing various digital software tools that allow for a wide range of creative expression. This modern approach enables me to explore different techniques and styles, pushing the boundaries of traditional art forms. The digital medium provides me with the flexibility to experiment and refine my work in ways that are both innovative and efficient.  Previously, my artistic process took place on the floor of my home, where I balanced both my workspace and creative endeavors. This intimate setting fostered a unique environment that encouraged spontaneity and inspiration.   Transitioning from a physical workspace to a digital platform has transformed my artistic practice, enabling me to create with greater precision and versatility. Selected Expertise & Skills: Proficient in various digital software tools for creating artwork Experienced in experimenting with different techniques and styles Skilled in utilizing th...

Nurturing Hue

  Nurturing Hue. Digital art created on canvas. September 19, 2024. Afrika Abney 

Energetic Color Canvas

  Energetic Color Canvas. Digital art created on canvas. September 8, 2024. Afrika Abney  "Energetic Color Canvas is a vibrant composition that showcases a dynamic interplay of hues, prominently featuring shades of orange, yellow, yellow-green, and blue. Each color is meticulously applied to create a sense of movement and vitality, inviting viewers to engage with the artwork on a deeper emotional level. The warm tones of orange and yellow evoke feelings of warmth and enthusiasm, while the cooler blue adds a refreshing contrast, balancing the overall energy of the piece.”

What's something you learned about yourself in the past year?

In the past year, I learned no matter how hard it is to find art buyers, to keep promoting my art and someday someone else will purchase my art. Persistence in the workplace is a critical skill. Quote found on the Internet “Persistence promotes consistency, a crucial trait for both personal and professional life, enriching our journey towards our goals. Despite unexpected obstacles, persistence enables us to persevere, presenting significant rewards and fueling our determination.” Dedicated and resilient artist with a passion for promoting and selling original artwork. Over the past year, I have learned the importance of persistence in finding art buyers and the value of continuous self-promotion. Successfully sold multiple pieces of artwork, including "Untitled" and "Tornado," through strategic marketing efforts and collaborations with Esther Productions, Inc. Committed to honing my craft and expanding my audience while maintaining an unwavering belief in the value...

Blend of thoughtfulness and trustworthiness

Quote found on the Internet I bring a unique blend of thoughtfulness and trustworthiness to every project I tackle. My unwavering loyalty and passion drive me to not only meet expectations but to surpass them, consistently delivering exceptional results. My mission is simple - to make a lasting impact through my work by fostering meaningful relationships with both colleagues and clients. I believe that true success is not just about achieving goals, but about building connections that stand the test of time. With a keen eye for detail and a commitment to excellence, I am known for my ability to consistently go above and beyond in all that I do. Whether it's collaborating with team members or engaging with clients, I leverage my strong communication skills to build trust and drive success. Throughout my career, I have earned a reputation for being a dedicated and reliable team player. I have consistently exceeded expectations and delivered results that have made a positive impact. ...

Kuumba Suras/The Figures of Africa

  When I was working at the Phillips Collection, I exhibited Kuumba Suras/The Figures of Africa in 2000. •"James McLaugin Memorial Staff Show." Phillips Collection, Washington, DC. 2000 GALLERY ASSISTANT .  Phillips Collection. 2000.  Responsible for monitoring and keeping artwork safe during gallery hours.   I participated in the  James McLaugin Memorial Staff Show which took place at the Phillips Collection in 2000. This was an interesting opportunity for me because I not only participated in the art exhibit, but was also a staff member at the Phillips in 2000. "For more than 25 years, The Phillips Collection has held a staff show to feature the works of artists employed at the museum. In 1984, the staff show was endowed by the family of James McLaughlin, an accomplished still-life painter who worked at the museum for 50 years. In 1932, McLaughlin began his association with Duncan Phillips as a student at the Phillips Gallery Art School. Until his death in 198...